Tuesday, May 12, 2009

2009 Confirmation Class Essays


The 2009 Confirmation Class will be appearing before the Ad Board on Wednesday, May 13th at 7:00 p.m. to read their essays and to answer questions from the board members.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scott Bagnell

Confirmation class has strengthened my relationship with God and I have a better understanding of Christianity. These are my beliefs…

God gave us the Bible so we can know that He is the one and only true God. God wants us to read the Bible and learn about people from the past, to show us we need a Savior and how we should live our lives. God loved us soooo much that He sent His Son to be the Savior of the world. John 3:16 (For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life). I Peter 2:24 (He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by His wounds you have been healed). I try to follow the Golden Rule and treat others how I want to be treated in return. Honestly, this can be a very hard thing to do. Sometimes classmates treat each other poorly by teasing or hurting one another. In these situations, I try very hard to do the right thing and remember the Golden Rule.

God wants us to follow such rules as the Ten Commandments. This is my understanding of God’s laws…

Loving God: 1. Don’t have any Gods except me 2. You must not worship idols 3. Be careful how you use Goods name 4. Remember God’s day…rest and worship.

Loving others: 5. Honor and obey your parents 6. You must not kill anybody 7. Stay with your husband or wife 8. Do not steal things from other 9. Never, never tell a lie 10. Don’t be jealous of your neighbor.

We should try to follow these rules daily, but if we stumble, we should pray for forgiveness and start over again.

It is important for us to go to church and remember God’s rules. Church is a place where we can encourage each other. I Thessalonians 5:11 (Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing). Church is a place where I can go to worship and praise God. Psalm 100:2 (Worship the Lord with gladness; come before Him with joyful songs). Church is also a place where I can pray for others, serve others and make Christian friends.

I would like to become a member of the United Methodist Church because I want to belong to a church family that praises God and helps the community. I would help my church family with my individual talents and any other way I could.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Courtnie Highland

I want to join the church because then I can be in the choir or anything else. When I get older I could get married in the church. I would also want to join the church so I could learn more about God.

Another reason I’d like to join the church is so I can be close to God. Hopefully God can help me through all the rest of my life.

I’d also like to join the church so if I have any rough patches I’m going through when I get older the church can support me. When I join the church I would do my
best to support other members of the church, too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scott Kelsey

Hello, my name is Scott Kelsey and I am here to state my reasons why I think it is appropriate to get confirmed in the First United Methodist Church of Sidney. This past year with my confirmation class and leader has boosted my faith and has encouraged me to spread the word of God. The time and energy that Pastor Charles has devoted to our class through his sharing of the church has inspired me to share the same with others.

I have been an acolyte and greeter, have volunteered my time at Vacation Bible School, been a lector at church, and am active in the youth group. I am looking forward to continuing to do those things and also getting involved in a choir and helping with Sunday school.

I try my hardest to be a good Christian by asking myself “what would Jesus do” and making a good decision. This philosophy helps me live a healthy life and have good relationships.

I believe that taking an office in the church or even just participating in ativities would mean a lot to me so please allow me to join the church.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lucas Rosenbaum

I would like to join the First United Methodist Church for a couple of reasons.

First, to expand my faith in the Almighty God.

Second, I would like to join this church because I want to learn about our Creator and go to His kingdom: Heaven.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Michael Sukup

I want to join this church because I know that Jesus loves me. When I’m older, I want to tell my kids that I was a member of the First United Methodist Church.

I also want to learn more about Jesus. I want to join the church because I would feel that Jesus would be in me more than He is right now. I would also like to be able to help with choices in the church. I would like to join the church just to be a part of it. What I would really like to though just to be a part of this church and have fun with the pastor.

I want to join this church because it would mean a lot to me. I would care for this church and be thankful because Jesus died on the cross for me and I know that. But most of all I want to be closer to God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost but they are 3-1 but they all do different things for us in our life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jaide Wachtel

My name is Jaide Wachtel and I want to join the church family because I want to learn about Jesus Christ. Being a member of the church enables you to learn about God as a family, which is more efficient than just learning his word by yourself.

There is also a lot of support within the church family. The church is there for you whenever you need them. Throughout all the good and bad times, the church is there for you, and will help you to hand your burdens over to Jesus Christ. I think that even though God wants you to worship him everywhere, it pleases him more to come together as a group and learn his word together. It’s also more enjoyable and memorable to be part of a group.

To me personally, I feel safer being around the church family because we are all there for the same reason and we all want the same thing – to live with Jesus in heaven one day. My vision of a perfect church family is one that is there for everyone and never leaves anyone behind. I know that none of us is perfect, we all make mistakes, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t still be there for the church and everyone in it. It’s the church’s job to make sure that every member feels comfortable and safe with the church, includes responsibility, and also love and passion for Jesus. I have all of those qualities, and wish to become a member of the United Methodist Church at the end of my confirmation.

No comments: