Monday, March 2, 2009

Lenten Devotional - #6


Psalm 16 (The Message)
1-2 Keep me safe, O God, I've run for dear life to you. I say to God, "Be my Lord!" Without you, nothing makes sense.
3 And these God-chosen lives all around— what splendid friends they make!
4 Don't just go shopping for a god. Gods are not for sale. I swear I'll never treat god-names like brand-names.
5-6 My choice is you, God, first and only. And now I find I'm your choice! You set me up with a house and yard. And then you made me your heir!
7-8 The wise counsel God gives when I'm awake is confirmed by my sleeping heart. Day and night I'll stick with God; I've got a good thing going and I'm not letting go.
9-10 I'm happy from the inside out, and from the outside in, I'm firmly formed. You canceled my ticket to hell— that's not my destination!
11 Now you've got my feet on the life path, all radiant from the shining of your face. Ever since you took my hand, I'm on the right way.

Prayer for Winter Rations
Lord, It seems as though my heart has mimicked the weather of Epiphany. It has been foggy, cold and dark outside, and I realize the same is true for the climate of my heart. As we enter into Lent and the daylight lengthens, I too, open my heart to You and the radiance of Your light. Please come illuminate the dark corners of my heart and bring warmth to those places gone cold. I understand that sometimes Your illumination will feel like exposure and my first response wil be to hide, to shrink back into dark corners. But I desire instead to choose to trust You. I understand that other times Your light will bring a warmth to the very core of my soul and I will bask with delight in it. But while I enjoy it, I will not grab after it. My heart will be satisfied with what You desire to give. I ask only these things: the patience to sit before You with an open heart and the firm anchor of trusting Your great love toward me. Arise, Thou Sun, upon the winter landscape of my heart winter rations are dwindling and I need Thy light!
(from Anglican Prayer Lent & Beyond)

No comments: