Friday, June 19, 2009

Meditation for June 19th

(The Head and Helmet of the Statue of Freedom,
US Capitol Building)


Juneteenth or June 19, 1865, is considered the date when the last slaves in America were freed. Although the rumors of freedom were widespread prior to this, actual emancipation did not come until General Gordon Granger rode into Galveston, Texas and issued General Order No. 3, on June 19, almost two and a half years after President Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation.

Prayer for Juneteenth: Father, I stretch my hand to thee--for no other help I know. Oh my rose of Sharon, my shelter in the time of storm. My prince of peace, my hope in this harsh land. We bow before you this morning to thank you for watching over us and taking care of us.

This morning you touched us and brought us out of the land of slumber, gave us another day--thank you Jesus. We realize that many that talked as we now talked, this morning when their names were called, they failed to answer. Their voices were hushed up in death. Their souls had taken a flight and gone back to the God that gave it, but not so with us.

We are thankful the sheet we covered with, was not our winding sheet, and the bed we slept on was not our cooling board. You spared us and gave us one more chance to pray. And Father, before we go further, we want to pause and thank you for forgiving our sins. Forgive all our wrong doings. We don't deserve it, but you lengthened out the brickly threads of our lives and gave us another chance to pray, and Lord for this we thank you...

Now Lord, when I've come to the end of my journey, when praying days are done and time for me shall be no more; when these knees have bowed for the last time, when I too, like all others must come in off the battlefield of life, when I'm through being 'buked and scorned, I pray for a home in glory. When I come down to the river of Jordan, hold the river still and let your servant cross over during a calm down.

Father, I'll be looking for that land where Job said the wicked would cease from troubling us and our weary souls would be at rest; over there where a thousand years is but a day in eternity, where I'll meet with loved ones and where I can sing praises to thee; and we can say with the saints of old, Free at Last, Free at Last, thank God almighty, I am free at last. Your servants prayer for Christ sake.

Amen!


-- traditional with additions from Reverend Wallace Evans (taken from Juneteenth: A Celebration of Freedom)

No comments: