Friday, July 17, 2009

Meditation for July 17th

In The Palm of God's Hand

Ephesians 6:10-12
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Psalm 37:23-24
If the LORD delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.

God does not like human weakness. God does not gloat when He sees human weakness. God does not feel joy when you are cast down in life. Beneath you, you have a mighty hand upholding you. When you are weak and things begin to crumble, look to God and see His mighty hand beneath you holding you up. God holds you up even though you do not know it. God holds you up in your moments of defeat. God holds you up when you grieve. God holds you up when you are hurt or slighted by others. God holds you up when you suffer a loss due to estrangement. When you think there is no way you can go on, God's hand so full of hope will give you strength. When you think there is no way to deal with the way things are, God's hand of power will hold you up, give you hope, and give you strength.


*****

Reflection:

God will never let us fall, he will carry us when we need it. I'm sure most people have heard of the “Footprints” poem. If not you can find it here. I always think of this poem when I feel like I'm in a huge valley that I can't get out of. Knowing that when I feel like I can't move from the place I'm in, and I'm alone, those are times that God carries me onward and upward out of the valley.

I'm sure most people have faced Cancer in some way. Weither its you, yourself, or someone you know; everyone has it touch their life in some way. Some people take cancer as being a death sentence, while others find faith, or strengthen their faith. I would have to say I've always thought of people who have found themselves in a great illness where we still have found no exact cure for it, that they would loose their foot hold in life, until one of my friends, Nicole was diagnoised with Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumor, or DSRCT. DSRCT is a very aggerssive cancer that usually occurs in multiple masses in the adomen areas. She was diagnoised at age 21, in October of 2005, she started Chemotherapy that following December.

Through all of this, she not only maintained, but grew in her faith, she changed mine. She had a blog online through it all, and the strength she showed during all of her treatment was just amazing, and changed me. She also had a journal on caringbridge.org as well, where she stated: “Through this struggle, God has been really faithful to me and has given me peace about my situation since day one. All of the prayers and support from family and friends have been instrumental in my recovery and hopefully God will choose to heal me of this awful disease. I am trusting in and leaning on Jesus everyday, and as my wristband says, "Either Way, I Win!"”

No matter what she never faultered in her faith, and always knew, even though being sick from chemo, she was always in God's hands. Always looking for helping others, saying “If there is anything I can pray for, for you let me know, you all are praying for me.” Faith that never failed. God never let her down, and never let her fall. She raised money through her wristbands for the clinic she went to, to help others that didn't have that much. Always loving others, and caring for others.

Nicole passed away about 2 weeks before her 23rd birthday, after 14 some rounds of Chemotherpy, and multiple surgeries. 16 months after being diagnoised with DSRCT she passed away in February of 2007. I've known her since we were in 2nd grade. Our moms went to school togethr, and her dad worked at the grocery store my grandfather managed; and we were in Girl Scout together from 2nd grade on. I know that she was not in pain any longer, but she had given me my faith back, through her strength in her own faith, to fight and to not give up, because Either way, she was going to win. Beating the cancer, or being with God our Father. She never gave up on him, and I have learned that no matter the valley I may be in, large or small but God will never let us go. I have a bracelet of Nicole's that says “Either Way, I Win!” and her name on the other side, that I have worn every day since she gave it to me back in 2006, as a reminder that I can make it through the tough times, and that I am always held in God's hands.

I know it was a bit of a different turn in a devotion today, but its been on my heart for the last few days, and I didn't know how to write it down at the time. Just remember no matter what, He is always holding on to you, even when you feel like your faith is so small.

~Courtney S-B~


Have a great Friday! Again if you have a story/devotion/meditation to share, shoot me an email at cshabrambeach@gmail.com and I'll get it posted for the meditation of the day here on the blog. Or pictures from around the church or events, and I'll get those up too.

No comments: