Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lenten Devotional - #2



Lent is underway and with it a time of reflection and purpose. What will this season mean to you come Easter morning?






Our Psalm for today is Psalm 4: (The Message)
1 When I call, give me answers. God, take my side! Once, in a tight place, you gave me room; Now I'm in trouble again: grace me! hear me!

2 You rabble—how long do I put up with your scorn? How long will you lust after lies? How long will you live crazed by illusion?

3 Look at this: look who got picked by God! He listens the split second I call to him.

4-5 Complain if you must, but don't lash out. Keep your mouth shut, and let your heart do the talking. Build your case before God and wait for his verdict.

6-7 Why is everyone hungry for more? "More, more," they say. "More, more." I have God's more-than-enough, more joy in one ordinary day

7-8 Than they get in all their shopping sprees. At day's end I'm ready for sound sleep, for you, God, have put my life back together.

Prayer for the Thursday after Ash Wednesday (from Creighton Univ. Online Ministry)

Lord, let everything I do this day and in this season of Lent come from you, be inspired by you. I long to be closer to you.

Help me to remember that nothing is important in my life unless it glorifies you in some way. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day of my life and keep saying, "Tomorrow, I will spend more time in prayer," but now my longing meets your love and I want to do it now. Help me to rely on you for help. The prayer asks you that I reach perfection. Please, Lord, remind me that "perfection" isn't the crazy, "successful" way I try to live my life, but a reflection of my most authentic, real self. My "perfection" might be holding my many flaws in my open hands, asking you to help me accept them. Heal me, Lord, and help me to find you in the darkness of my life. Let me reach out in this darkness and feel your hand and love there to guide me. Amen.

No comments: