Sunday, December 28, 2008

A New Year Commitment

(from the Littleton UMC, Colorado website)

A new year is a great time for new beginning -- a clean slate -- an opportunity to learn from past mistakes -- and to accomplish goals which weren't possible in 2008. Don't fall into the trap of letting 2009 be a pity party, but let it be God's party as we celebrate our return from the far country. You know, even a calculator has an important button called a "clear" button, which allows it to solve the next problem on paper. Forget what is behind and reach forward to what lies ahead. Press on toward the goal with persistence and progress.

Here's a prayer by the Rev. Dr. Kenneth G. Phifer, from a book titled A Book of Un-Common Prayer. It was written for New Year's Eve and is a perfect prayer for each of us as we begin 2009 with all of God's wonderful possibilities before us:

"Eternal God, before whom we are creatures of the day and children of the hours, I did not expect the sorrow that was thrust upon me. I was surprised by the turn of events that changed my life. I look back. I remember how different life a year ago was. The slow, quiet erosion of the days has gone on, and I am not quite the same person I was, for better or for worse. I have had a whole year to grow in love or to fall out of love, to turn my hands to constructive tasks, or to turn away in idleness. I have had a whole year, no matter what I have done or failed to do, O Lord, Keep me from dwelling on it too much. If I have failed, help me put my failure behind me. If I have done well, help me to be glad but not complacent. There are other hills to climb and new hopes to be realized. I know, O God, You understand my need to look back for a while, wistfully peering at the past. But start me looking forward. I do not know what events are ahead, but I do know You are there, and I am grateful. Amen."


This prayer will help you to keep living and connect you to the power that will enable you to keep on keeping on. It is the truth and it awaits your discovery. It is 100% guaranteed. Because the Lord is faithful, there can be a new you in a new year!

No comments: